Saturday, October 25, 2014

Manpreet’s email account hacked, 400 mails sent

Hacker impersonates PPP chief and seeks money from his contacts
Archit Watts
Tribune News Service
Muktsar, October 24
Unidentified persons hacked the personal email account of Manpreet Singh Badal, former state Finance Minister and People’s Party of Punjab (PPP) chief.
The hacker on Tuesday sent 400 emails to several of his acquaintances, seeking a financial aid of Rs 90,000 to meet the medical expenses of his cousin, suffering from tumour in Bangkok.
The hacker, impersonating Manpreet Badal, said he was in Bangkok and would pay his creditors as soon he returned to India.
Manpreet Badal today approached the Cyber Crime Cell of the Chandigarh Police, seeking action against the hacker, furnishing the copy of one such email sent to his friends in Canada.
Manpreet’s brother-in-law Jaijeet Singh Johal, who manages the social media activities of the PPP, confirmed the development. “Someone hacked Manpreet’s email account, when he was in England recently. The hacker had sent nearly 400 emails to his acquaintances, seeking aid for his cousin,” he said.
Jaijeet further said some of the people who got the email were Dr Jagjit Singh in England and Harcharan Bains, Media Advisor to Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal. He said the hacker didn’t give any bank account details.
Jasbir Singh, in charge, Cyber Crime Cell, Chandigarh Police, said they would start the investigation soon. Manpreet could not be contacted.
What the email said
Hello, how are you doing today? I'm in Bangkok, Thailand, to see my cousin. I need your help urgently. I did not want to disturb you with this, but I have no one else to turn to. My cousin, who is a missionary here, is suffering from a critical uterine fibroid and must undergo a hysterectomy surgery. She is going through a lot of pain at the moment. The doctors have advised me that the tumour needs to be removed soon in order to avoid any complications.
I need a loan of Rs 90,000 to make the necessary arrangements. I will pay you back as soon as I have returned to India. I travelled with little money as the trip was planned at a short notice. Please let me know if you can help me. I will provide you with the account details. I will check my email every 30 minutes. I will be grateful to hear from you.
Regards,
Manpreet Singh Badal

No comments:

Post a Comment