Friday, June 20, 2014

WOMAN OF SUBSTANCE: Muktsar’s Jinder plies a rickshaw for a living

WOMAN OF SUBSTANCEMuktsar’s Jinder plies a rickshaw for a living 
Archit Watts
Tribune News Service
Jinder ferries a passenger in her rickshaw.
Muktsar, June 18
Jinder Kaur, 30, is the lone woman rickshaw puller of Muktsar. Deserted by her husband seven years ago, she decided to earn a living by plying a rickshaw.
She came to this town with her husband Roop Singh, a driver, seven years ago. "Roop left me for another woman as I could not bear children," she says. Jinder pedals the rickshaw with her bare feet, despite the scorching heat. "I usually park my rickshaw near Gurdwara Darbar Sahib. I earn nearly Rs 100 a day. I give Rs 40 as rent to the rickshaw owner. I don't accept charity," says a proud Jinder.
She is hurt when people make lewd comments. "I am now follower of a sect and don't wish to remarry." She says her father passed away a long time ago and other members of the family, residing in Mansa district, are too poor to support her." Jinder has earned the respect of other rickshaw pullers who adress her as “sister”
Jinder ferries a passenger in her rickshaw. Tribune photo

No comments:

Post a Comment